Enterprise Risk Management is a widely used – yet commonly misunderstood – term in business today. In today’s complex and fast-moving business environment, there are increasing demands from policymakers, regulators, investors and shareholders, boards and the community for stronger risk management oversight and improved governance in all corporations.
This three-day workshop is designed to give risk management practitioners, key decision-makers and managers generally, insights into the latest thinking and techniques for the effective identification, assessment, management, and reporting of risk management across an organization operating in any industry sector.
New technology, increasingly complex financial risks, increased organizational complexity, increased legislative and regulatory requirements are all giving rise to an increased risk profile of even the simplest businesses. These factors coupled with recent high profile business failures are elevating the importance of effective risk management within all organizations.
Be at the forefront of an emerging and important discipline by gaining a greater understanding of enterprise risk management, in theory and in practice. Learn from a highly regarded and experienced former Chief Risk Officer how to implement an effective enterprise risk management systems and enable an organization to meet its strategic, business and financial objectives.
WHAT WILL WE LEARN?
- Understand the importance of having effective Enterprise Risk Management approach.
- Learn how to implement an Enterprise Risk Management framework, using the COSO-ERM framework, in an organization.
- Understand the importance of aligning risk appetite and strategy.
- Understand from practical case studies both the benefits of effective risk management systems and processes as well as the pitfalls of inadequate risk management.
- Understand how to review an organization’s risk management processes and systems, from an ERM perspective.
- Be able to improve current risk management reporting and decision making within your organization. Learn how the ERM function can improve risk management responses and reduce losses.
- Enhance your understanding of how to identify and assess common strategic, financial and operational risks within modern organizations.
- Learn how to build, develop and shape a risk management function that is both a valued business partner and key strategic asset of an institution.
- Understand and enhance your own personal value and the value of your team as a key advisor on risk management within your organization
- Gain insights into the latest trends and issues in Enterprise Risk Management.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- The workshop is designed for risk professionals, executives, senior decision makers, managers, and consultants involved in one or more of the following areas. The professionals can either be in ‘Heads of’ or Senior roles in any of the functions:
- Heads of Enterprise Risk Management
- Heads of Operational Risk
- Chief Risk Officers or Heads of Risk Management
- General Management
- Operations Management
- Business Risk and Business Continuity
- Internal and/or External Audit
- Compliance, Legal and/or Corporate Governance
- Information Technology, IT Risk and Project Risk
- Strategic Planning
- Risk Management Consulting
DAY 1 –Enterprise Risk Management Fundamentals
Session 1 – Foundations of Enterprise Risk Management
- Enterprise Risk Management concepts
- Risk appetite and boundaries
- The COSO-ERM framework
- Recent developments
Workshop: Participants will review a Case Study detailing a new Risk Management Framework
Session 2 – Assessing and Improving Enterprise Risk Management Maturity
- Roles and responsibilities of the board, management and the risk management function
- Implementing a risk appetite framework and establishing risk appetite
- Risk Maturity Assessment
- Business strategies, risk appetite and KRIs
Session 3 – Enterprise Risk Management in Practice
- Identification, Assessment, Management and Reporting
- Risk Management Workshops
- Mitigation Techniques
- Improving operational efficiency and effectiveness
Workshop – Participants will identify the key elements of a strategic plan for a risk management business unit
Session 4 – Enterprise Risk Management – Regulatory Risk & Compliance
- Design and implementation of effective frameworks to manage regulatory risk
- Assisting manage the regulatory change agenda
- Effective reporting and escalation of regulatory matters
Case Study – Participants will review a recent regulatory case study
DAY 2 – GETTING INTO THE DETAIL OF ENTERPRISE RISK MANAGEMENT
Session 5 – Enterprise Risk Management and Operational Risk
- Understanding the difference between ERM and Operational Risk
- Implementing an ERM framework
- Effective management of operational risks
- Embedding an ERM culture across the organisation
Session 6 – The Big Picture: The Three Lines of Defence and Enterprise Risk Management
- Understanding the interaction between ERM and the Audit Function
- Roles and responsibilities across the first, second and third lines in risk management
- Fostering first line ownership of business risks
Case Study – Participants will review the risk governance and assurance frameworks of different banks
Session 7 – Embedding a Positive Risk Culture Through Enterprise Risk Management
- The role of the ERM CRO in assisting shape and embed a positive risk culture
- Understanding what good looks like for risk culture
- Measuring and reporting risk culture
Case Study – Participants will review and discuss a recent case study on risk culture
Session 8 – Enterprise Risk Reporting: Financial and Non-Financial Risks:
- Latest tools and techniques in the reporting of financial and non-financial risks
- Incorporating non-financial risks reporting into management and board reporting
- New and emerging risk reporting categories: conduct and culture, remuneration polices and outcomes, and climate change risks
- Data analytics
DAY 3 – EMERGING TRENDS IN ENTERPRISE RISK MANAGEMENT
Session 9 – Enterprise Risk Management Hot Topics: Identification, Assessment and Management of Specific Risks
- Data privacy, information security and cyber security risks
- IT, project and third-party risks
- Conduct and reputation risk
Case Study – Participants will review and discuss a non-financial risks case study
Session 10 – How to Approach Emerging & Strategic Risks
- Emerging & strategic risk reporting and discussion in the boardroom
- Fostering awareness of emerging and strategic risks
- Embedding strategic business risks assessments into business and investment planning
- Scenario planning
Session 11 – Tools to Assist Implement Enterprise Risk Management
- Selecting and implementing a governance, risk and compliance system (GRC)
- Digital transformation and enterprise risk management function
- New skills and expertise requirements for risk managers
Workshop – Participants will review and discuss the key components of a GRC system
Session 12 – Summary & Wrap Up
End of Programme
For a detailed trainer biography, please fill in a brochure request.
The venue of the training is always in a centrally located 4-5 star hotel. The venue is confirmed 2 weeks before the programme once registration is closed and we know the exact number of delegates attending. We have exclusive rates with the hotel, if you require accommodation during the programme.